The Houston Texans chosen Michigan receiver Nico Collins with their third-round make a choice within the 2021 NFL Draft. Collins became named the Alabama Sports activities Writers Affiliation 2016 All-Relate first team in his senior yr coming out of Clay-Chalkville High Faculty in suburban Birmingham. He got 20 provides, including these from powerhouse colleges admire Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida — but he chose Michigan. “Primarily, should you are recruited to Alabama, you move to Alabama,” Collins stated, by strategy of AL.com. “However I observed it as but any other to be various, and I in actuality feel that’s what I did. I in actuality feel admire it became most attention-grabbing for me.”
After a collegiate occupation that included inconsistent quarterback play and passing sport disarray from a instructing standpoint, or no longer it is shimmering to marvel if Collins regrets that determination.
Regardless, the outdated colossal-time prospect has the frame and instruments that translate to the next level. The final Michigan receiver prospect who suffered from unfortunate QB play and a frightful circulate sport became forgotten and lasted the entire diagram till the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. While you expect the Browns how they undoubtedly feel now about selecting Donovan Peoples-Jones so uninteresting into Day 3, a rookie who made a train impact in Cleveland after Odell Beckham landed on IR, they’d maybe also repeat you it became their most attention-grabbing worth make a choice within the entire class. Collins and Peoples-Jones are various sorts of prospects, but the staunch NFL team, with an offensive diagram that suits Nico’s talent situation, will be getting a primary worth this April.
Collins opted out of the 2020 season.
We’re breaking down all the pieces or no longer it is well-known to know about Collins from a Fantasy manager perspective, including most attention-grabbing suits, Dynasty outlook, measurables, scouting characterize, key stats and an NFL comparability.
2021 Fantasy impact
In most cases, we could no longer expect a uninteresting third-round NFL draft make a choice to return well-known Fantasy worth in 300 and sixty five days 1. Nonetheless, that hasn’t continuously been the case in fresh drafts, and the Texans’ huge receiver depth chart is huge delivery. The Texans return Brandin Cooks as their de facto No. 1 option. Additionally they return oft-injured veterans Randall Cobb and Keke Coutee. The latter two are no longer well-known of a possibility to Collins lengthy scramble and or no longer it is no longer impossible he can soar them in targets in 300 and sixty five days 1. Houston is level-headed within the hunt for an staunch “X” receiver to substitute DeAndre Hopkins on the boundary and Collins profiles as that develop of prospect, but he’s raw and no longer going to receive there in 300 and sixty five days 1.
Obviously, the elephant within the room is who will Collins be catching passes from. With Deshaun Watson at QB, his worth is a lot various than it would be with 2021 rookie draft make a choice Davis Mills or free agent acquisition Tyrod Taylor. If Houston’s passing sport is as inept as it goes to be without Watson, Collins could delight in next to no worth in yr one even supposing he can develop starter snaps. He is extra of a colossal-play receiver than someone to rental in PPR leagues.
The Dynasty neighborhood loves Collins’ upside with a 6-foot-4 frame, and that relish is rising after Collins confirmed up 15 pounds lighter on the Senior Bowl and had a sturdy week against about a of the tip corners. I no longer too lengthy within the past participated in a mock rookie draft the assign Collins went off the board on the end of Spherical 3 — that is the ideal I’ve viewed him move to this level. He gained’t move there in every rookie draft, but he’ll typically be drafted.
- Huge frame and he uses it effectively to box out defenders in contested-put scenarios.
- One of the well-known longest athletes at WR — a 7-foot-9 wingspan — and it presentations up in his sport.
- Untapped doable attributable to unfortunate QB play and an inefficient passing sport at Michigan.
- Huge in contested-put scenarios on 50/50 balls.
- Can stack CBs and acquire vertically down the sphere no topic being a “invent-up” bustle athlete.
- Strong hands when jammed up in press coverage.
- Very ideal body control within the air and when extending a long way off from his frame to receive traumatic catches.
- Very bodily as a receiver and uses his physicality effectively.
- Very sturdy hands on the put level and a natural hands catcher.
- No topic no longer being the most fluid athlete, he’s efficient on slants and curls/comebacks.
- Initiatives as a train red zone possibility.
- Lack of heterosexual-line bustle.
- Now not an explosive athlete off the freeway of scrimmage or total — would no longer create separation alongside with his athleticism.
- Now not a actually fluid or versatile athlete, relative to the placement.
- His footwork off the freeway of scrimmage wants work and usually leaves him within the assist of the eight ball in routes.
- Now not an overly productive collegiate receiver.
- Opted out of the 2020 season.
- Appears to be like admire a unfortunate fit for a West Cruise, immediate-hitting offense in line alongside with his talent situation.
*Collins opted out of the 2020 season.
|2019 v top 25||6||19||314||1||16.5||0|
|2018 v top 25||5||20||363||2||18.2||0|
Evolved stats to know
- 19.7 yards per reception in 2019 within the 92nd percentile (per Participant Profiler)
- 9.8% fall rate (per Professional Soccer Point of curiosity)
- 52% contested put rate (per PFF)
- Purchase radius is within the 94th percentile among all WRs (per Participant Profiler)
- Breakout age (19.5) within the 80th percentile (per Participant Profiler)
Collins is a traumatic player to procure an NFL comp for because he profiles someplace between Laquon Treadwell and Michael Thomas (Saints), but he’s nearer to Treadwell on that scale. His lack of explosion and suppleness off the freeway of scrimmage could also take hang of him assist from creating separation and discovering success on the NFL level, but his freakish put radius, sturdy hands and physicality receive him a pleasant fit within the red zone and in vertically-oriented offenses. I will settle comping Collins to a unfortunate man’s Mike Williams (Chargers).