Unusual England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick stated Monday he’ll now not accept the presidential medal of freedom that President Trump modified into enviornment to award him following final week’s Capitol siege.
Riding the facts: Belichick stated whereas he modified into within the origin flattered to be equipped the award, “the tragic events of final week took place,” and he has made up our minds now to now not lunge forward.
- Belichick faced calls, including from rather a lot of Democratic lawmakers, to decline the award, per The Unusual York Cases.
What they’re announcing: “Fair unprejudiced right this moment, I modified into equipped the alternative to get the presidential medal of freedom, which I modified into flattered by out of respect for what the distinction represents and admiration for prior recipients. Due to the this truth, the tragic events of final week took place and the determination has been made now to now not lunge forward with the award,” Belichick stated in an announcement, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
- “Above all, I’m an American citizen with immense reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy. I do know I also signify my family and the Unusual England Patriots crew,” he added.
- “One amongst the most rewarding things in my expert profession took enviornment in 2020 when, thru the immense leadership within our crew, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and grew to turn out to be actions.”
- “Persevering with those efforts whereas last correct to the parents, crew and nation I love outweighs the advantages of any individual award.”
- The White Home did now not straight touch upon Belichick’s commentary.
The gargantuan image: Belichick stated in 2016 his friendship with Trump went assist decades.
- Sooner than the November 2016 election, Belichick wrote a letter to Trump in which he congratulated the then-presidential hopeful on a “great marketing campaign,” per NBC Sports.
Value noting: Belichick’s commentary Monday came a day after the Knowledgeable Golfers’ Association presented its board of directors voted “to terminate the agreement” to take the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump’s Unusual Jersey golf route.