The 2021 NFL season is upon us and as Jalen Hurts prepares to compose his first Week 1 initiate up for Philadelphia, there are loads of questions that’ll in the discontinuance be answered.
With the Eagles and Falcons assign for kickoff in the season opener, we sat down with Managing Editor, Matt Urben of The Falcons Wire for seven questions that’ll wait on preview Sunday afternoon’s matchup.
(AP Describe/Danny Karnik)
1. Kyle Pitts became as soon as the high-5 hold and as he enters a rookie season paunchy of expectations, how has he sorted a month of coaching camp and preseason games?
Pitts has impressed Atlanta’s coaching workers along with his Falcons teammates sooner or later of coaching camp, on the opposite hand, the rookie has barely carried out the least bit for the length of the preseason. Regardless of logging apt two offensive snaps, Pitts flashed his high-5 doable by catching a short circulation and rumbling for 27 yards with ease in opposition to the Browns. Falcons head coach Arthur Smith took an especially cautious potential with Pitts and the relaxation of the starters, so we’ll derive our first trusty peer on Sunday.
Famous Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
2. Atlanta handed on in conjunction with Justin Fields, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones via the draft, deciding on Matt Ryan for no decrease than another season and per chance more. How has the dilapidated looked in camp? Can he replica past success below Arthur Smith?
Many fans wanted Justin Fields, and while the worn OSU QB would had been a gigantic long-time-frame fit, the quantity of cash the Falcons are guaranteeing Matt Ryan build them in a noteworthy residence. With a with out phrase closing window, it made more sense to add an instant-impact participant enjoy Pitts and compare out to desire now reasonably than rebuild. For a first-365 days head coach, having an skilled dilapidated enjoy Ryan below heart is reasonably indispensable a indispensable yelp. Getting into his 14th season, Matty Ice is in space to thrive playing in an offense that’s better suited to maximise his expertise as a pocket passer.
(Describe by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
3. Calvin Ridley is the man now with Julio Jones in Tennessee. What can we query from the worn Alabama huge name? Can he replica his 2020 success with out the specter of Julio Jones?
Ridley has continuously been a assured man, and as long he’s healthy, query him to enter high-5 territory at the wide receiver space this season. Julio Jones missed seven games closing 365 days and even when he carried out, it became as soon as particular he wasn’t healthy. This allowed Ridley to showcase his elite route-running skill while proving he’ll also be the group’s No. 1 possibility on offense. Defenses is also game-planning for him more now, nonetheless it’s nothing fresh for Ridley, who dominated at Alabama sooner than playing 2d fiddle to Jones.
(AP Describe/Brynn Anderson)
4. Can Mike Davis lift the Falcons rushing assault? What does the dilapidated ball-carrier bring to the offense?
While Davis filled in admirably for Christian McCaffrey closing season, it does appear enjoy the Falcons are placing loads on his plate. Not easiest is Atlanta’s offensive line one amongst its weakest gadgets, nonetheless the group handed on drafting a running wait on in the draft. On the entertaining facet, Davis does reasonably indispensable the total lot nicely and will wait on expend passes out of the backfield when the offensive line can’t create any push. In 2020, Davis went over 1,000 all-reason yards, so this may occasionally also be attention-grabbing to peer if Arthur Smith gets that form of production out of him this 365 days in Atlanta.
Famous Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
5. Grady Jarrett most incessantly gets misplaced at the wait on of Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox in the dialogue for the NFL’s high defensive tackle. What separates Jarrett from other interior gamers?
Jarrett’s athleticism for a titanic man is what separates him from a quantity of defensive tackles. His quickness helps him as a circulation rusher interior and he has a pure skill to derive the football. Atlanta’s lack of success in fresh seasons has indubitably trouble Jarrett’s perception at some stage in the league. Leer for him to play more at defensive discontinue this season because the group transitions to a 3-4 scandalous defense below Dean Pees.
Famous Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
6. Falcons defensive coordinator Dean Pees came out of retirement to work with coach Arthur Smith. What does Pees bring to the franchise? How will Atlanta peer numerous on defense this 365 days?
Pees has already introduced some pleasure to a defense that became as soon as wildly inconsistent at some stage in the final few seasons. The dilapidated coordinator said he came out of retirement apt attributable to how indispensable he wanted to work with Arthur Smith after their time together in Tennessee. Pees is all about being more than one on defense. He likes to flee numerous coverages and blitzes out of the same formations, which keeps opposing offenses guessing. Pees’ aggressiveness on that facet of the ball is one thing the gamers seem like gravitating to.
7. Who wins and why?
I beget the Falcons’ defense will reason some complications for Eagles QB Jalen Hurts early on as Dean Pees disguises his coverages. Offensively, if Atlanta can apt interact care of the ball and withhold away from taking immoral sacks, I beget this may occasionally also be adequate to near away with a 23-14 desire over Philadelphia in Week 1.