SI.com’s Week in Wrestling is published per week and provides under-the-ground coverage of the enterprise of legit wrestling.
Io Shirai on a WrestleMania 37 match in opposition to Bayley: “I in actual fact possess no longer been told that but—but never snort never”
Io Shirai defends the NXT girls’s championship on Wednesday evening, making an strive to search out to lengthen her title reign in a match in opposition to Raquel González at NXT TakeOver: Stand & Bring.
And if she wins, Shirai is conscious of exactly what she needs next: a match at WrestleMania 37 in opposition to Bayley.
“I would relish to compete in opposition to Bayley,” Shirai says by a translator. “I in actual fact possess a broad amount of respect for her. If we ever got the risk, I would really prefer it to be on a tall stage like WrestleMania. As some distance as that happening at WrestleMania 37, I in actual fact possess no longer been told that but—but never snort never.”
Shirai is also sharp to work with González in a match that will be a dissimilarity of kinds. González is being positioned as an unstoppable force, and he or she’s going to income from working with Shirai, who’s without doubt one of the most well-rounded, total wrestlers on this planet. Identified as “The Goddess of The Sky,” Shirai would possibly be very versatile and polished in the ring. She will work with any opponent—an system, she approved, that became impressed by wrestling account Rey Mysterio.
“I watched Rey Mysterio compete in opposition to bigger superstars when I became young and constantly came away impressed with how he overcame his smaller stature with his quickness,” Shirai says. “If I will attain the same with Raquel, I would possibly have the choice to inspire fairly heaps of other folks appropriate like I became impressed by Rey. I obtain loads of pleasure when I defeat any broad rivals, and Raquel would be no varied.”
Shirai is the 30-year-passe Masami Odate. Following a transcendent stretch as one amongst the most adorned wrestlers in Japan, she has dazzled viewers—and buddies—in NXT since her arrival in WWE in 2017. During her profession, which began at the age of 16, she has produced a plethora of profession highlights, in conjunction with blended-gender suits. One which specifically resonated became her Lucha Underground match from 2016 in opposition to Penta, who now stars in AEW. Given the opportunity, she is open to blended-gender suits in NXT.
“My sort and highlights constantly alter reckoning on who my opponent is,” Shirai says. “I’m particular I can even ranking one thing recent to showcase competing in opposition to a male and would admire the opportunity if it ever equipped itself.”
Shirai’s underwater promos are one other outlandish and spirited component of her sort.
“When I changed to my most up-to-date sort from my days in Japan, the one and excellent ‘Io Shirai’ persona became born,” Shirai says. “That promo became a supreme system to level I became varied from every other Jap skills, and that I became no longer excellent one amongst a form in WWE, but varied from someone else on this planet.
“The producers told me that nobody had ever carried out a promo in the water, so I knew I needed to strive it. I cherish my colleagues who dove into the water with me and labored so laborious to fabricate everything peer so upright.”
The probability to work a high-profile match with Gonzalez at as soon as stirred memories from eight years previously. That became when Shirai took a broad step in her profession by defeating Alpha Feminine for the World of Stardom Championship, origin her first reign with the belt.
“By system of comparing this to my profession in Japan, I think that is most comparable to the Stardom match I had at Ryogoku Sumo Arena in April 2013,” Shirai says. “Now I’m having a locate forward to the responsibility of being in the principle tournament on evening one amongst TakeOver.”
March 4 marked Shirai’s pro wrestling anniversary, celebrating 14 years in the industry. As she approaches one other seminal evening at TakeOver, she reflected on the greatest classes she has learned at some level of her profession.
“Repeatedly obtain up must you would possibly perchance perchance also very well be knocked down and never quit,” Shirai says. “That’s what I in actual fact possess learned in wrestling, and I pick that very same system in my day after day existence. Everybody fails in existence, but as lengthy as you obtain up, you will constantly sight the gentle, no topic how lengthy it takes.”
Shirai relishes the opportunity to innovate and produce, which she plans to achieve in a system in dissimilarity to someone else on this planet Wednesday evening at TakeOver.
“Three hundred days possess passed since I became NXT girls’s champion, and my fans are yearning for me to be triumphant in the one-year impress,” Shirai says. “That in itself makes this a must-obtain match for me which skill of I don’t wish to permit them to down.
“And I put collectively recent gear for every mighty tournament, so I pointless to recount possess one thing particular deliberate for TakeOver. I would possibly beat Raquel and mark my name, Io Shirai, in the historical previous books.”
The (on-line) week in wrestling
- Edge, Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns possess keep collectively a manufacture deserving of the WrestleMania 37 main tournament.
- I will’t wait to peer Sasha Banks protect in opposition to Bianca Belair. And even supposing I think we’ll sight a brand recent champion, I’m especially to peer how we come at that level.
- On the topic of recent champions, the controversial Will Ospreay defeated Kota Ibushi final weekend to obtain the IWGP world heavyweight championship.
- Shingo Takagi is next for Ospreay on Could perchance well 4, then a match on Could perchance well 29 in the Tokyo Dome in opposition to Kazuchika Okada. In picture to produce Ospreay as champ, he goes to want a lengthy scuttle to ranking himself.
- Jon Moxley’s next title defense of the IWGP United States Championship doesn’t possess a date, but he has an opponent: NJPW cornerstone Yuji Nagata.
- A brand recent title has also been launched in NJPW: the Solid Openweight Championship. The winner of the New Japan Cup USA will be crowned the recent champ, which also signifies that Moxley goes to be defending his U.S. title out of the nation and no longer on NJPW Solid, like he did in opposition to Kenta.
- No topic what he has been handed when it comes to a yarn, Sami Zayn has been so efficient in making every section he is in price seeing. He has the risk to fabricate magic at WrestleMania 37 in his match in opposition to Kevin Owens.
- Chris Jericho is returning to the WWE Network for an interview with Steve Austin on the Broken Skull Classes, that can also air this Sunday following WrestleMania. TMZ got a response from CM Punk, who stated, “Truly, my indispensable response and opinion on it is I think that it reveals Vince McMahon isn’t anxious of AEW at all which skill of, if he became, he wouldn’t enable that to happen.”
- Shelton Benjamin struck lightning in a bottle with The Hurt Trade. What a shortsighted resolution it became for WWE to interrupt up the community.
- No, there is no longer a physical WWE Hall of Repute. But clearly there is a broad amount of intending to the glory for these enshrined, besides as their loved ones.
Laredo Kid performing for GCW in the Acid Cup
Laredo Kid returned to AEW the previous two weeks on Dynamite, working a sort that served as a reminder why he is one amongst the most proficient wrestlers on this planet.
Closing week, Laredo Kid shared the ring with Penta and Fénix in opposition to Kenny Omega and The Correct Brothers. Correct like he did in their out of the ordinary bout at AAA’s Triplemanía in December, Omega received the match by pinning Laredo Kid—and the 2 again confirmed fabulous chemistry collectively. Two weeks previously, teaming with Penta and Fénix in a match in opposition to The Younger Bucks and Brandon Cutler, the attain came when Laredo Kid hit a picturesque Spanish Wing on Cutler for the obtain.
“That’s one amongst my favourite moves, and I strive to achieve it in my hang sort,” Kid says by a translator. “I’m very chuffed to be on Dynamite. AEW equipped a probability to me, and I did my excellent to fabricate the most of it.”
Next up for Laredo Kid is an look the next day for GCW in the Acid Cup in opposition to Brayden Lee. The indicate, which airs on FITE TV, is corpulent of rising stars, in conjunction with Calvin Tankman, Tony Deppen, Lee Moriarty and Arez. The publicity of working reveals at some level of WrestleMania weekend represents a probability for Laredo Kid to fabricate his impress in the American wrestling scene, especially in an indie as sturdy and much-reaching as GCW.
“I wish to give broad suits to the fans looking at,” Kid says. “Extra than one thing, I wish to obtain. I desire that cup in my hands as champion.”
On the topic of championships, there became some staunch confusion over the AAA cruiserweight championship. Kid approved that, even supposing he dropped the belt to Lio Breeze on an MLW taping that aired in February, he is gentle acknowledged as the rightful title holder.
“I’m gentle champion,” Kid says. “I’m cruiserweight champion.”
Whether it became intended or no longer, AAA and MLW are building substantial interest in the inevitable Kid-Breeze rematch for the belt. And the match will inevitably bring, as Kid is poised to possess a breakout year in 2021. And he seems to proceed to choose his momentum with GCW.
“I’m very grateful to all my fans for the toughen that they supply me every single day,” Kid says. “I have blessed with the opportunities I’m given, and now I in actual fact possess the risk to stand out globally. I’m going to fabricate the most of each and every opportunity I’m given.”
Tweet of the Week
The brilliance of Sami Zayn continues.